Saturday, March 05, 2005

Too Stinking Early

I was planning on starting my blog today, but I got a much earlier start than I had hoped. This is a perfect chance to live up to my blog title. My 2 year old has been waking up periodically though the night. It would be fine if her crying wasn't quite so loud, because then I could sleep through it. I'm not sure I can come up with an accurate description of exactly how loud her cry is. But I am sure they heard it in California. Anyway, at 4:30, after getting up at 4:04, 4:16, and 4:25, I decided to go ahead and get up. Here is where I find myself tested. My first reaction to this situation is to gripe, complain, and grumble. Basically, I would consider this an inconvenience. I require large amounts of sleep to function. You may notice that sleeping is listed among my interests. But in my daily struggle to be a better person, I chose this opportunity to create my very own blog. How exciting. I have been thinking about creating one for about a year, but I figured no one would care or read it. But I am plunging forward, looking for a new adventure.

I came across the following quote the other day:
Men always talk about the most important things to perfect strangers. In the perfect stranger we perceive man himself; the image of God is not disguised by resemblance to an uncle or doubts of the wisdom of a mustache. G.K. Chesterton
This gave me the final push, and here I am. I don't have a life particularly fraught with adventure, but I think the fun comes from trying to make an adventure out of our everday living. Otherwise, we are quickly bored, and spend all our time complaining. I must confess that I find myself bored and complaining all too often. Now that I am coming out of a four year post partum induced haze, I want to be a better person, wife, mother, and christian, though not necessarily in that order. I have discovered that to be better at all these things means to be less selfish. Such a simple concept, but oh so hard to put into practice.
Well, the time has caught up to me and I am no longer thinking very coherently. I have no idea how often I will post, some days it may be many, many times, or a week may go by. My hope is to be disciplined enough to write everyday. What do I plan on talking about? I have no idea.

No comments: