Wednesday, December 10, 2008

No Soliciting

Would it be rude to put a sign in my front window that said

NO SOLICITING
Please do not knock on my door or ring my doorbell unless I am personally acquainted with you. Chances are, someone in this house is asleep right now, and it won't make them very happy if you wake them up, especially if it's the lady of the house. I have no desire to buy a vacuum cleaner, or any magazine subscriptions. I really have no desire to become a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness. I don't need any free estimates or brochures about free estimates. Please, don't waste my time or yours.
Have a Nice Day.

2 comments:

Karenee said...

How on earth could that possibly be rude? It would be kind! You're preventing them from wasting their time. So there.

I hope you can get some rest.

Anonymous said...

Of course it is not rude if that is your decision. However, use of the word "solicit" would be open to interpretation, since it implies that the visitor wants to gain something from you, whereas they may actually wish to provide something to you. People during the apostles time must have been misunderstood as to their purpose, although they were offering something of great value(see 2 Corinthians 2:17-"for we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are, but as out of sincerity, yes, as sent from God, under God’s view, in company with Christ, we are speaking.")although some must have believed they were soliciting. Christ did not feel he was wasting his time or others and he would have called at your door. If you wish to rebuff everyone then "No Trespassing" would apply to everyone, without regard to his/her purpose. It would not be open to interpretation.