Tuesday, August 26, 2008

For your amusement

I somehow stumbled across the results of the annual Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. Apparently Mr. Bulwer-Lytton is the man who first penned the words "It was a dark and stormy night." Therefore, the contest is to see who can come up with the worst first lines of a book. There are several categories. My favorite was from the romance category:

Bill swore the affair had ended, but Louise knew he was lying, after discovering Tupperware containers under the seat of his car, which were not the off-brand containers that she bought to save money, but authentic, burpable, lidded Tupperware; and she knew he would see that woman again, because unlike the flimsy, fake containers that should always be recycled responsibly, real Tupperware must be returned to its rightful owner.

Jeanne
Novato, CA

Have fun!


Meanwhile, back at the ranch,

It's a dark and stormy day here. It was pouring this morning at bus time. Then a while after I got back, I heard our storm sirens going, and we were under a tornado watch. fortunately the suspect cloud activity was south of us, but it has been raining off and on all day. I just hope it slacks off at afternoon bus time. This kind of weather makes my head feel weird. I think the babies are affected, too. They've not been in a good mood and have runny noses. My sewing machine stopped working right last night. I am going to go see if it is anything I can fix. It seems to be a bobbin problem. It's probably time for a tune up. I am glad work is starting nexr week, I could really use a paycheck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I borrowed my mother's sewing machine recently and before I got a chance to use it, my husband's student borrowed it from me, via my husband (without my knowledge). Later that day, I got a call from them frantically trying to figure out how to sew curtains for the classroom. They wanted me to tell them how to thread it over the phone when I have not used it in about 8 years. Neither one of them sew, mind you. By the time I got there to help them, they had come to the conclusion that the thing was broken. It seems to be a bobbin problem. Is this an epidemic? I seem to recall my washer being dead once when you blogged about yours. Could you kindly warn me if you are planning on losing any more appliances?