Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chapter Books

Everyday P. is sent home with a book from school, they call them baggie books, because they are in a ziploc baggie. Yesterday he graduated to Chapter Books. I have no idea if this is unusual for a first grader, but I was very proud. He's rereading his Bible, too. E. has started "reading" her books at the table, too. She seems to be doing well at school so far. But she is still writing backwards--from right to left instead of left to right. P. went through a phase at this age where he wrote his letters backwards, but in the right order. She writes the whole thing backwards(i suppose it's actually a mirror image). I am guessing she does this because she is left-handed. Anyone have advice on how to help her? She doesn't seem to realize they are backwards, it all looks the same to her. Or should I not worry about it till she is in kindergarten.

I made it to Bible study again. I didn't really want to go, but I did. The boys had a good time, but were ready for a nap when I picked them up. I am going to try to do better about doing my homework this week. But 32 yrs of procrastinating is a hard habit to overcome. Sometimes I wish the Lord would work on one fault of mine at a time. I suppose a lot of them are connected, though. So here's what going to bible study is working on(other than the actual study): My commitment to a group issues(showing up), my fear of groups(I either don't say anything, or feel like a jerk or idiot because I might have said something stupid-which has been known to give me small anxiety attacks.) My dislike of hanging out with a bunch of women I don't know, procrastination(doing the homework earlier than the night before or the morning of), food choices(will I eat the pastries or the fruit?), there's probably more, but those are the big ones. I have also joined some small online forums and am trying to leave more comments on blogs in an effort to overcome my feelings of stupidity. 4 kids in 5 yrs has pretty much eradicated all my critical thinking skills. My brain is a mush pile. But I know the only way to make it better is to use it.
Right now I am trying to learn not to obsess over comments I make. It can take me an hour to write 3 sentences, and half the time I erase what i've written and don't leave anything. If I do post, I spend the next 24-48 hours fending off an anxiety attack. Basically all the classic signs of OCD are there. But I have mental hand-washing instead of physical hand washing. I discovered a few years ago that my obsession with reading was the ritual I use to clear my mind of the distracting and intrusive thoughts. So I guess I am doing my own cognitive behavioral therapy by forcing myself to participate.

It's about time to take the girl to school, so I will push the post button and try not worry that I've offended anyone. :)

3 comments:

Karenee said...

*laugh* Hon, if it offends anyone that you posted about what you are learning and your difficulties they shouldn't read your blog.

I, for one, am glad you posted. This is something I struggle with also. (yes, all of it except the amount of kids) {{{hug}}}

Don't worry... God uses us now, not just when we're perfect. I just read something that helps me frame it better. God's work is always good even when it isn't where it's going to be. An apple is the best it can be in June and July just as much as at harvest when it's ready to be eaten. Every stage is beautiful and glorifies God.

I enjoy learning about you and wish we were closer so as to have a better friendship. Oh... and I think your brain works fine. *grin*

Karenee said...

Ack! I was going to commisserate about the backwards writing thing. Munchkin does the same. I don't make it a big deal, but just point out that words start on THIS side of the page, honey. Can you show me what it would look like if you started there?

He has improved with a solid handwriting curriculum and quiet reminders. "This way. Do you see?" Now he goes backward maybe once out of every 50 times.

I kinda thought it was a cool ability. Da Vinci wrote this way when he wanted to. But he also knew how to write for other people... LOL
http://www.mos.org/sln/Leonardo/LeonardoRighttoLeft.html

Valerie Comer said...

Hugs, and thanks for sharing.