Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Back to the Dr. we go

Well, the twins are sick again with a cold. I given them a few days to get better, but they have only gotten worse, so I am going to try to get them to the dr. today. I also have to attend the girl's Christmas program at school. It was really cute last year, so it should be fun. My mom is going to take her lunch break early to come and watch and help me with the twins.

I am still trying to finish up my Christmas shopping. I went out Monday when the older kids were at their Grandmas, but the babies were in no mood for shopping, so I didn't get much done. I'm trying to be excited. Baby M. ended up having diarrhea for 2 weeks. I felt really bad for him. So I've been more concentrated on getting my family well than thinking about Christmas. I did take the time to redo my Christmas tree. I had rearranged and messed it up, plus I didn't put enough lights on it, so it looks much much better now. Last night splitcat asked me why I had been angry the past couple of weeks. I was completely surprised. I had been thinking how nice it was that I hadn't been angry for a couple of weeks. But I think I have been very quiet, which could easily be seen as anger. I have been thinking about Christmas presents and other stuff.

I have been able to get out a couple of times. My boss from my last job had a reunion dinner last week, even though I wasn't there at the end when the program was shut down, she still wanted me to come. So I was able to spend some time with my sister(without 8-10 children running amuck) and some old friends. I was somewhat startled to realize how much I have changed in the past 2 years. It was also very weird to be without the twins. It was the first time I had really been alone since October(except for a few late night trips to walmart). Then on Sunday we went to the 4Boydad's house for our semi-annual get together. I left the twins with my mom, I wanted to be able to talk to people without having to chase down a baby. A good time was had by all. A friend I hadn't seen in about 5 years also came, so it was nice to catch up with everyone. I still felt weird without the twins. It's like I don't know what to do with myself when they are not around. My life would be very very different without them around, but I am so glad they joined our family. I do enjoy them.

Speaking of the twins, splicat wanted me to post about all the things people say to me at the mall. Since they look totally different now, and M weighs a good five lbs more than W, I am no longer asked "Are they twins?" I am asked (usually in a little bit disapproving voice by older women) "How far apart are they?" I love to reply in a totally deapan and serious voice, "4 minutes." I've had some women be very visibly taken aback. I can hear them thinking things like, "doesn' t she know how that happens" and they have to rethink their thoughts when they find out they are twins. Some people do ask very tentatively if they are twins or just close together. It's pretty amusing sometimes. But I get stopped at least 3-5 times at the mall. At joann's the other day a lady said, "oh, that was me a few years ago."(as I negotiated the double stroller through the aisles). "You have twins?" I asked. She stared at me for a couple of seconds, "oh, they're twins?" was her reply(we chatted for a few minutes, she was really very nice). So life is never dull. If I need to talk to someone, I jsut have to go to the mall or Kroger on Wednesday(it's senior citizen day, and the grandmas can't resist talking to the babies) .

Well, it's time to get the girl dressed for school, so please pray for the twins if you have a moment to spare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the illnesses. We have all had the tummy bug over the past week.

A friend of mine who was a missionary for a while in Ireland told me of a Danish remedy she heard about there (those Irish Danes are so known for their health care remedies, no?)

She said to grate an apple with a cheese grater and sprinkle cinnamon on it. Something about the way the fibers go when you shred it and how it is digested is supposed to help with the poopy or something.

I thought it was all nonsense and that any old apple would do, but decided to try anyway. The result was that E had a very smallish diaper for the first time in days and then the next diaper was only pee. Hurrah!

It could have been a fluke and he was finally getting better anyway, but hey, it sure didn't hurt.

The other kids (now over their bug except for KF who I expect is just waiting for Christmas to get it) liked the "Mrs. Z Irish Danish Apple Cheese Treat" so much they wanted it for lunch. I expect it is to become a favourite snack from here on out, tummy bug or no.

I have been missing my fresh Canadian apples on every corner since we returned. I have been spoiled and now cannot help but think all apples in GA taste a bit like bland cardboard. I must admit that something about the shredding made them taste much better- brought out some of the juice in an otherwise dry and sad excuse for fruit.

I will be praying for you and your young. I hope you will have an illness free holiday. We are praying for splitcat's folks too. Please tell him I said so.

Ganeida said...

Oh, oh I know the 'take the double stroller to the shops & see how many people stop you to chat' trick! Mine were identicals too (big blue eyes, blonde curls)& a 10 minute dash for milk would take 3 hours. I won't distress you with what they did with those looks when they got older. Arg! And they though I didn't know! lol.