Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Elmo?

I took my children to the movies for the first time today. I chose to take them to the free movie because, well, it's free(except for the $200 I paid for popcorn and drinks). Our movie choices were Elmo in Grouchland and Garfield. Being the wise mother that I am, I chose Elmo in Grouchland. After all, it's Elmo.

If you know me you may be wondering why my 4-yr old has never been to the movies. I can sum it up in 2 words. Dark. Loud. P. is an exceedingly sensitive child. The mere mention of the word fireworks can send him running and screaming, and it has been over a year since I traumatized him by going to Stone Mountain for the Laser Show. He asked every night for 6 months if there would be fireworks.

So, feeling a dire need to get out of the house, I loaded up my two and my 11 yr old niece, who was willing to sit through Elmo. All is well. We get our snacks. The previews come on. P. is a little scared, but doing ok. He happily munches his popcorn and sips his drink. E. is having a wonderful time eating popcorn. The lights dim, the movie begins. P. ceases all actions and melds his arms to the armrests and his back to the cushion behind him. His eyes widen. But he doesn't say anything. I look over at him from time to time and he hasn't moved. It occurs to me that he looks like a little old man on his first roller coaster ride. Enter the villain. Exit us.

I assumed that the pitiful wail issuing from P.'s lips would disturb the other occupants of the theatre. We made it 45 minutes. E. was loving every minute of it. P. was still crying when we got to the car. A trip to the wal mart to look at the fish hopefully redeemed me.

1 comment:

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

Sounds like you experienced a bit of H-elmo. I think I would cry if I had to sit through a full length Elmo film. Maybe he wasn't afraid, he just has taste and was hoping to see something a bit more "artsy".

sc