Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Depot

Well, we had a successful trip to the Depot. We left with grout, a toilet flange(I think) and a toilet. I was a little disappointed when the toilet I wanted was out of stock, or rather, they had not yet received the stock. Leave it to me to pick the one thing they didn't have. It was the right price and, for a toilet, pretty stylish. So we ended up with an American Standard toilet in a box. It was nice that it came with all the pieces, including a lid. We looked at a Kohler, but it had a spaceship look about it, too modern. So we ended up with a toilet that just looks like a toilet. This is the second time I have received a toilet for my birthday. Hopefully I won't need another one for a while since they've all been updated.

On another topic entirely, As I was randomly flipping through the tv yesterday(I'm actually worse than splitcat about this) I found a show on a music channel counting down the viewer's choice of the top ten grunge hits. It was certainly a walk through memory lane. I remember that what I liked about grunge was that it was made by actual bands rather than just a singer/dancer with a studio band back up. It was the first time I actual chose(as a teenager) to listen to new music rather than 70's or 80's rock. It was also the era of bands such as the Cranberries and the Sundays. Splitcat and I were talking the other day about how there aren't that many popular bands(not pop stars) today with female lead singers(yes I know there are a few). I felt officially old one day when they played "Wild Horses" as sung by the Sundays on the radio and I realized how many years it had been since I'd heard it coming from the radio instead of my cd(from which it comes pretty often). I wonder if one day my children will be shocked when I sing along(or mumble along) to "Smells like Teen Spirit" on the Oldies station. I remember being slightly shocked when my good Christian mother who listened to Sandi Patty and Amy Grant and Keith Green sang along to a 60's hard rock tune. It was something like Iron Butterfly or a similar group. I knew she had a interesting past, but I didn't know it involved "rock music." Somehow I don't think my children will be as shocked, since their favorite band is They Might Be Giants. And the Girl regularly gets down to the New Wave and 80's rock stations on our satellite. We have definitely exposed them to an eclectic mix of music. I never know what I'll hear after splitcat has been driving the car. It can be anything from Steve Taylor to Dave Matthews to Van Morrison.

I've been trying to expose myself to new music so I don't get lost in an 80's-early 90's time warp, but I've only found a few new bands that I really like. Honestly, alot of the new bands sound way too much alike. The music all has the same pattern and all the voices sound the same. If I can't figure out who I am listening to by the lead voice, what makes you special? The one relatively new band I really like is Keane. Their lead singer has a beautiful and distinctive voice. I'm hoping splitcat got the hint about their new album coming out and my birthday. I use to follow christian music alot more closely, but now all the bands I like are old. My sister occasionally exposes me to something new, but I haven't heard much I want to rush out and buy. The few Christian bands I like I probably only like because I have been in several worship services led by them which were beyond incredible. And they all come from IHOP, not the radio.

Am I like totally rambling now? Well, back to my original topic in case you wondered, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was voted the number one grunge hit. I have to agree. If you say "grunge" it is probably the first song I think of. It is one of those songs that immediately brings me back to being 18 or 19 at the back to school dance, trying not to make a fool of myself(which I was generally unsuccesful at). I remember tugging on my ponytail in hopes of keeping myself from really embarrassing myself by dancing. It only helped a little. That's one of those songs that still makes me want to jump up and down and have hair long enough to swing around.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I remember hanging out with my RUF pastor in college, watching Nirvana perform live on SNL. When they were done, he stood up and said, "That's it, declare me officially old, because I thought that was too loud, and I didn't understand a word of what he said."

And now I feel the same way when I listen to the radio. DaveFM is in, 99x is out.

In an attempt to be helpful, I'll point out that Keane sounds a lot (vocally and othewise) like Travis, which is another band I like. And I have enjoyed "discovering" (years too late, as usual) both Switchfoot and Lifehouse. The only other Christian music I listen to is Jeremy Casella and Randall Goodgame. And Bach, but he's not CCM.

Most of the 300+ songs I've purchased from iTunes are old songs from my high school and college days, further adding weight (in my own mind, of course) to my theory that a person's musical tastes freeze on Graduation Day.

But I could be wrong.

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

"that a person's musical tastes freeze on Graduation Day."

I completely agree. Most of my CD's range from 1986-1995. I think a big factor in that is time and money. After college we start a "real job" and have little extra money. Then we get married and have kids and have little extra time. Priorities change and we never catch up to the changes in music.

Anonymous said...

I love Keith Green!
KG's music has influenced me more than anything else on the planet almost. I have listened to him for so long. He has also influenced me as a musician, to be very honest and real in my lyrics. Actually, I'd be honored if you'd check out my music on my site. Its very, "Keithish."
Thanks for posting,
-Sean
__________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All of my music is free for download."