Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Summer

At last summer is here. Today we spent some time in the yard. Splitcat picked green beans, the kids played in the sprinkler, and I reclined in my new chair. As I slathered the children with sunblock, I realized that the smell reminded me more of band camp than the beach. As I have caught lingering whiffs of sunblock through the afternoon it has become the smell of sunshine, laughter, and green trees.

We ate our first batch of green beans yesterday. They were quite tasty. We should have cucumbers any day now, and tomatoes within the week. The children have really enjoyed watching our garden grow.

I had a dr's appt yesterday. Everything was mostly fine. I had to do my glucose tolerance test-a test for gestational diabetes(Imagine adding about a cup of sugar to orange gatorade and having to drink it within five minutes). My results came back borderline, so I was told to cut back on the carbs and sugar. I also had low iron and must now take iron supplements. I had sort of guessed it might be low since I've been incredibly lethargic lately. I have to go to the dr. every two weeks now. So in two weeks I have an ultrasound and a checkup. Only 6-10 weeks to go!

This morning were were wakened by a whispered conversation in the hallway outside our room. I heard a little boy voice say, "If we whine, then they'll get up." Then he spent the next five minutes trying to convince his sister to wake us up. We just laughed silently. Splitcat finally got up to feed them, and I went back to sleep.

We have half a room clean in our house now. The other half should be done soon. Hopefully. But there was a lot of furniture and book moving involved. Splitcat did a very thorough job of dusting. The kids now have an area specifically for playing. Before it was just sort of spread out across the room. As soon as there is any significant area of carpet cleared, they like to run in circles. I've never figured that out.

We saw The new X-Men movie last week. We both enjoyed it. It was better than I had expected. But you need to stay to the very end of the credits. The bitter end.

My mom did bring me back a devil dog. It was very good.

I think that catches up on the last week. I'll try to do better. Hopefully the extra iron will help get me back in order.

No comments: