Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Conferences

Last week was conference week for the big kids. I am happy to report they are both doing very well in school. E has totally charmed her teachers. She still tends to write backwards, but that is mostly a developmental thing, plus she is left-handed. P. is now reading on a 5th grade level--both in vocabulary and comprehension. I was surprised that he was also comprehending at that level, though I shouldn't be, he's a smart kid. The other day they went outside to play with splitcat and P asked his sister if she was going to be a spectator or play football with them. Last night splitcat was playing a game on the computer(medieval Total War) and in talking to P, who was watching, he realized that P knew exactly how to play just from watching. His only problem is that his handwriting is absolutely horrible. He still mixes upper and lower case letters randomly and the size of his letters is totally random. I guess his handwriting shows his emotional immaturity while the content of his writing shows his scholarly maturity. His teacher said she always enjoys reading what Paul writes because it is usually very original.

Speaking of last week. Friday night all the kids were supposed to stay at my mom's so we could have a night out, and I had a meeting Saturday morning and splitcat had an open house to attend. So Friday morning, about 8:30 I get a call from P's school. I had taken a Benadryl(woke up with allergies/cold) and was asleep. Hi, this is the nurse at .... P just threw up everywhere, can you come get him. So I had to get everyone dressed and go pick up P. And cancel all my plans. It worked out, I guess. My mom called yesterday and said she woke up sick on saturday morning, so it was good the kids didn't come. I was sad that I missed my meeting. I am going to be working on a girls retreat in February. I am going to be one of the prayer people. My first reaction was to say no, but I realized it might be a good thing. But I already feel like the spiritual attacks are beginning. So I am already praying a lot more than usual(which is a good thing). I was blessed that the Lord answered my prayers and no one else threw up and my cold failed to progress and I was completely fine by Sunday afternoon. I am most excited about getting away for 2.5 days, especially since the place where the retreats are held is in Dahlonega, which is in the mountains. The mountains are my true home, I miss them. So even though I may have to stay up late, I have a feeling I will come home rested.

1 comment:

Valerie Comer said...

Hugs on the sick kids, but congrats on P's vocab! That's cool.