Monday, February 20, 2006

The Great Name Debate

We are having a terrible time agreeing on names. We usually end up making up corny combinations. P. gets mad at us when we do this. But his only contribution to the debate has been the name Aaron. As my dh has recently blogged, we have both chosen unusual screen names and have a preference for unusual names. I took my screen name from an obscure series of fantasy by E.R. Eddison. It has been my online identity for five or six years. My first online identity was Thursday. I got it from The Man Who was Thursday by Chesterton. I used it in chat rooms on Excite, but I lost it. I thought it was nicely gender neutral. I was also briefly Callay. Using a word from Jabberwocky as your screen name is a great way to meet other nerds. The first time I used it in a chat room I had at least three people quote parts or all of the poem. When I joined Pogo, I chose another name from Eddison, so there I am Campaspe4. But of late I have stuck to fiorinda. My memory isn't good enough to remember so many names.

Our children were both named for family members. P was named for his father's favorite Uncle. His middle name was chosen because it was the favorite boy name of both of us. I agreed to the first name because it is the name of my favorite singer and the main character of one of my favorite books. E. was named for one of my great-grandmothers. Her first name also happened to be our favorite girl name. But we call her by her middle name because her first name is very common(also my g-grandmother was called by her middle name).

So this time around, we've got nothing. For me, the meaning of the names is very important. My children's names mean Humble Defender of Mankind and Princess Pleasant or Lady Living Light. We're working on the pleasant part, we've got the princess part down pat.

So here are the girl names I've picked so far. Feel free to leave comments on which you like or add some. We need help! I'll do boy names another time.

Carolyn
Clara
Constance
Eleanor
Eliana
Elisabeth(as a middle name)
Esther or Estelle
Jane
Laura
Lillian
Lucy
Mary, Marilla, Mariah-(this is a name I would choose to honor my long-time friend Mary Jo, since it means bitter :))
Mercy
Millicent(call her Millie)
Naomi
Rachel
Ruth
Tallis
Verity
Violet(maybe call her Lettie)

The only combos I've come up with are Lillian Jane, Eliana Ruth, Clara Beth.

So please feel free to leave your 2 cents. Dh isn't overly fond of any of these names, but he hasn't had any better suggestions.

7 comments:

Scott said...

For what it's worth, here are the girl names we never got to use:
Anna - our generic girl name, and the only name we agreed on through 4 boy pregnancies; two of our friends have already stolen it
Diana - 4 Boy Mom's mother's name
Rebecca - my mother's name
Debra/Deborah/Debbie/Debby - just a beautiful name

Good middle names:
Fincher - my grandmother's middle name. She was 7th (or 9th?) and was delivered by Dr. Fincher
Ivie - same grandmother, but her last name now.

Hmm. More to come, possibly.

fiorinda said...

I had considered Ivy, but I really like it spelled Ivie. Thanks 4boydad.

Anonymous said...

I like the combos you came up with. I also like Violet, Millicent, Estelle, Constance, and Mercy. I did a little searching and here are a few others that stood-out:

Nara - Old English for "near one" or Gaelic for "joyous"

Paloma - Spanish for "dove"

Odelia - from the Old German for "little wealthy one" and Hebrew for "praise God"

Talia - From the Hebrew for "dew from heaven"

Tate - Middle English for "cheerful"

Tess - From the Greek for "fourth born" (For whoever comes out second)

Samara - From the Hebrew for "guarded by God"

Miranda - this was my sister's name, I always liked it. According to ivillage.com it means "admirable beauty; one who is wonderful"

Scott said...

Some more:

Julie - Elementary School girlfriend (2nd grade?)

Jennifer - ditto (5th?)

Jill - High School girlfriend (9th?)

Jessica - ditto (10th?)

There's a pattern there, I think. It's interesting (maybe only to me) to note that my sister dated a string of Jasons (including a Jonas, which is Swedish for something) before marrying a Josh. My wife's name does not begin with a J, thankfully.

fiorinda said...

Lindsey-Those are good names. I particularly like Tess and Miranda. I like Odelia as well(also Ophelia). I like Talia and Tate, but the first thing I think of when I say them is Talia Shire and Tate Donovan.

I also heard last night that Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck's baby is named Violet. Do I avoid a name because a celebrity used it?

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

Fiorinda: It is not that I don't like the names that you have picked out. It is just that I am going to have a real hard time naming them until we find out their genders. My mind gets too boggled otherwise.

Scott said...

(Possibly) helpful links:

List of Twins (Wikipedia)

Twins (also Wikipedia)

Please, no soap opera names.