Friday, February 17, 2006

Some sad news for Atlanta book lovers

Last night my husband broke the news. The Goodwill book sale is no more. While this news may not be devasting to most of my readers, it is very sad for us. It has been an important pilgrimage for splitcat and myself since our marriage in 1995. Since it usually occurred about the same time as our anniversary, we had a good excuse for spending money on books. In recent years it has been held two to three times a year, and we have tried to attend at least once a year. Fortunately I have a thrift store and a Goodwill not too far my house. But it is not the same. I will miss our annual pilgrimage very much, as it was a time for splitcat and I to be truly ourselves, getting lost amid stacks of books, then sitting in a corner revealing our finds, counting up the cost, and removing the less intriguing books. I owe most of my science fiction and needlework collections to the book sale. It will be missed.

No comments: