Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wednesday Woes

The good news is I managed to sleep last night. The not so good news is that I felt worse today. At about 3:00, after sleeping most of the afternoon, it suddenly dawned on me that I might have a fever. And I did. Splitcat informs me that if I have whatever was bothering him last week, I have another 4 days or so. But if I still have a fever tomorrow, I'll call my midwife. Apparently sudafed works differently on my pregnant body. Instead of being totally wired, I couldn't keep my eyes open. But when I'd wake up, my heart would be racing. It was very weird. What was weirdest is when I woke up from my afternoon nap and was watching television through a feverish haze, I saw a commercial for a beach destination. And I remember thinking, that's weird. All the people they are showing are in same sex groups. And I laughingly thought, it must be a gay and lesbian commercial. Imagine my surprise when it was exactly that. It was a weird thing to see upon awaking.

I added a new link to a blog called Film Chat. I found it whilst next blogging. I like it because he does intelligent reviews from a christian perspective.

I was disturbed to find out that they are making The Golden Compass, by Phillip Pullman into a movie. When I first read this book, I loved it. It was original and a compelling read. But after reading the final books, I was left with more than a vague sense of disquiet. I learned shortly thereafter that he is an ardent self-described atheist. And the series "His Dark Materials" is very obviously anti-religion and anti-God. Plus it has an unhappy ending for the two main characters. I've tried to stay off any Potter bandwagons, either pro or con, but this is one I will have to stand firm on. These are some of the only books I have actually thrown away instead of giving away. And though I try to keep an open mind in general about fiction, since it is fiction, the agenda in this series is just to plain for me to ignore. It is also a little sad to me that people have become so fixated on the whole Potter debate, they've missed the loads of other young adult fiction that could cause so much more trouble. I guess that is what keeps me committed to my own writing. There is so little Christian fiction for teens. If you go to your local (non-Christian)bookstore and peruse the YA section, at least half or more of the books are fantasy. At my local Christian bookstore the YA section barely takes up two small shelves. This is obviously a place where Christian writers are needed. For both the Christian and secular market. I think perhaps teens are undermarketed in Christian fiction because, in theory, there shouldn't be anything too objectionable in the adult fiction sections. But I think it is important for teens to read fiction that concerns their own age group and its problems and not have to be satisfied reading "safe" historical romances about 29 yr old widows with 8 children in 1890 Montana. (ok, so that was a really bad generalization, and there are some really good new adult fiction books coming from the CBA or whatever they're called now. But a 16 yr old should be able to read books about 16 yr olds. (it's late, so I hope this makes sense(if it doesn't, blame the sudafed))).

No comments: