Thursday, January 17, 2013

Nonsense 2/52

So it's time for me to talk about something. What should I talk about?

Not much going on right now. I may have murdered my vacuum cleaner last night when I accidentally sucked up a sock and didn't realize it until gray smoke began spewing from every available crevice.

splitcat will be back tomorrow. He doesn't know I caught him a pet in the basement. He'll be soooooo excited.

I am currently watching 2 kdramas. They are currently airing so I get 2 episodes/week to cry and laugh over. The first one is called School 2013 and is about the harshness of the Korean school system and college entrance exams. there are two main storylines-The relationship of an idealistic teacher with a cynical teacher as well as her relationship with her troubled students, and the other side story is about 2 boys who were best friends and then weren't and how they make up and then there are a bunch of other side stories about the other students. One of the things I like most about this show is that sometime during the first few episodes they decided to do away with the "love-line" and focus on the platonic relationships. It was an excellent decision. I don't think the show has suffered for it at all. There are still hints here and there, but with only 3 or 4 episodes left, I don't see it changing. This is going on my fav drama list. Here's a recap of ep 1-8.




The other drama I am watching is called The Flower Boy Next Door. It's about a girl who doesn't really leave her apartment but peeps across the alley and has an unrequited love for a neighbor. Chaos, of course, ensues and she is forced to start interacting with her neighbors. There are 4 episodes so far and it is shaping up to be both fun and thoughtful.

 This is the third "flower boy" show from this cable network and they have all been really really good. (a flower boy is a boy/man who is very stylish and very  pretty good-looking). The first was Flower Boy Ramyun Shop-it was a mostly light hearted romantic comedy about a young woman who falls for a high school student who also happens to be the son of a really rich man-and a student where she is student teaching. It dealt well with the obviously touchy subject. It took all the elements of a classic korean melodrama and used them in a fresh new way, often poking fun at the conventions while using them to its advantage. The second was called Shut Up! Flower Boy Band and it was more drama than comedy. It's about a group of boys who are in a band and how they deal with a tragic loss and sudden fame. The main focus is the friendships between the boys. One of the main themes of these 3 dramas is friendship and family, and I think that is part of why I like them so much.

All of these shows (and many more) can currently be seen(legally!) at dramafever.com. (hulu also has a big selection of dramas).

So, I guess that's it for my nonsense this week. I won't bore you with more dramas for a while. I promise. I just have a headache and couldn't think of anything else to talk about.

No comments: