Saturday, January 19, 2013

Singing Saturday 2/52

So, be patient with me for this one. I am going to stretch your sensibilities and your language skills. I will also try to explain. Most of you are aware that I now enjoy watching Korean dramas. I then discovered Variety shows, which then led me to Kpop. Most of the Variety shows that get eng subs are done because there are idols on them and the fans sub them to share with international fans. So it was thusly that I first discovered the group Super Junior. They tend to show up a lot on variety shows as they are considered for the most part to be "entertainment" idols. Technically they are a boy band. I will discuss me and the fact that I now listen to boybands another day. They were originally supposed to rotate members as each of them had differing specialties. They are actors, comedians, singers, and dancers. For some reason they clicked and after the addition of one more member(to make a total of 13(yes, it's ridiculous, right?)) they officially became a group. There have been a few changes since the beginning and their current line up would be 11, but they currently have 2 members(soon to be 3) serving their mandatory military service. (they also have an additional 2 chinese members who only perform with one of their subgoups). super junior is really hard to explain

So, after I finally figured out who was who and who did what I had pretty much picked out my favorite members. The one I am about to share with you goes by the stage name of Yesung.  He is the lead singer. This video was taken at their Tokyo Dome concert this past spring. You will notice the crowd is all waving blue light sticks. Every kpop group has a color that identifies them and their fans have matching lightsticks/balloons at concerts. Super Junior is Pearl Sapphire Blue. It's pretty amazing to see the 55,000 fans waving their lights. So, sorry for the quick course in Super Junior  but you will probably be subjected to more of them, so sorry, not sorry really, it is my blog after all in advance.

This song is called The More I Love and was originally sung by a korean rock band called Boohwal. if I remember correctly, it's about unrequited love.


No comments: