Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Crazy? I don't think so

Yesterday in one of the forums I participate in, the question of the day was "what is the craziest thing you have ever done?"

I didn't have an answer, except that I was boring and cowardly. After a day of consideration, I still have no answer. I've done some silly things, some weird things, but I can't think of anything "Crazy" that I have done. The person who listed the question had sky-diving as her answer. Mostly, all I could come up with was a laundry list of things I haven't done.

Here is where this dilemma gets tricky and moves into a vague spiritual/moral/ethical never-never land. Should I feel bad that I don't do "Crazy" or risky things with my life? My answer is, of course not. However, there seems to be some societal something that says we are not living our life to its fullest if we don't do stupid crazy things when we are young, and sometimes when we are old. Honestly, I am grateful that I have a longer list of nevers than I wish I never's.

In the first year of our marriage I struggled somewhat with this concept. While my friends were still in college and doing "college" things, I was working full-time and trying to figure out being a wife. But I knew that it would be difficult, and chose to get married anyway. And although it was much harder in reality than in thought, I wouldn't have traded places with any of my friends. I am glad that before I married, I went to a small christian college where I was able to find other people like me. We didn't spend Thursday nights in Athens getting drunk. Our excitement came from a late night stop at walmart or the huddle house. I remember how absolutely shocked I was upon arriving to school early on a Sunday and seeing a girl leaving the boy's dorm(there was extremely limited visitation times, and six o'clock in the morning wasn't one of them). I was very young.

I just don't see the need for doing dangerous or stupid things for the thrill. I guess I'm just not an adrenaline junkie. I find much more joy in standing at the top of a mountain enjoying the view, than jumping off that mountain with a parachute or hang-glider.

I can't remember where I was going with this. I guess it's just that I have finally come to terms with being a boring person.

Wow, I've totally lost my train of thought. Hopefully you, gentle readers, will sort of understand what I am trying to say(and saying so poorly). I think I need a nap.

*************************************************************
I thought about making this another post, but since it's still Wednesday, I'll just add it on. I just got back from another exciting trip to the children's E. R.

P. and E. were playing when E. started screaming and crying. This is not terribly unusual, but she kept crying, which is. She finally made it to us, and she was holding her arm still and screaming if you tried to touch her. Her brother played the clown and got her mind off it and she stopped screaming. We both guessed it was another case of nursemaid's elbow(which if you are an avid fan of this blog you may remember occurring this past summer). She acted much the same, but we were afraid to try and fix it. Since it was well after dr's hours, we had to go to the er. Fortunately, it was nursemaid's elbow again. If you have it once, you are very likely to get it again. She behaved quite well, and got an orange popsicle for her pain. We also got to watch Dumbo. Not my favorite movie, but it passed the time. So we are just back and about ready for bed. It has been a long time since I've had to post an er trip. Hopefully this is the last for a while.

I never did get that nap.

No comments: